Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Respect Dare Day 14: Treat Him Like A Man


This day really was an eye opener.  I knew I already had this area to work in because randy had mentioned I've treated him like a kid.  Sometimes I honestly say I didn't even realize I was doing it. That alone makes me very sad that I treat my own husband like one of my kids.  He deserves so much more.  

One of the questions asked me to remember my mom, sister, or friends talking about their husbands as though these men were inferior.  How had this impacted families?  Yes I've heard some and still do.  I honestly can say I wince when I hear a friend or relative talking about their significant other in a non positive way.  It really helps me to hold my tongue as I am almost embarrassed for their husbands.  

I am to write a list of eight things that wives in general can do to make their husbands feel like men. 1. trust him and his judgement,  2.  believe in his capabilities, 3. affirmation,          4. acceptance - especially for who he is not who you want him to be 5.  respect 6. no nit picking 7. Confidence in what he does around the house or outside the house 8.   leave him alone, don't question why he does something just because I do it differently.

I am now to pick two out of these eight that I feel would benefit my husband's esteem the most.  I really believe # 1 and 8 would benefit him the most as I have always questioned his judgement on some things and I really feel he would have so much more confidence if I stopped that and just trusted him to be the head of the household. 

When he told the DS back in Colorado that he needed time to discuss with me about the church near Pueblo, he stalled and stalled because of me.  He lost his opportunity to interview for his own church because he was worried of me and the kids and what we would think.  I never want him to feel that way again.  I want him to pray about it and be led by God, not the fear of what I will think.  He has a calling to preach God's word and I don't want to stand in the way of that.  I know he still has that desire and I am OK with that.  I just need to reassure him that I trust him in making the family decision to go where he is led in his quest for pastoring.  He deserves to fulfill his calling.  

Lord, please guide me in the way you would like me to respect my husband.  Please help me see the ways I have been lacking in respect for my husband.  Show me and help me to build my husband up as a man, not tear him down and treat him like a child.  Lord, this is a weak spot within me and I have been a single mom for so long I have never given my husband the reigns to run this family as he was commanded by you. Please help me overcome those fears and to just trust in him as he trusts in you to lead and guide this family.  Lord I know your will will be done through my husband, and through this family with your guidance. In Christ's name, Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment