Monday, April 29, 2013

The Respect Dare Day 13: The Play Set


This was a tough one to stomach as I have always been a strong willed woman who became too used to being a single mom that did it all and ran her household like she wanted.  Yes, I've failed at marriages before but now know that this is such an important one to learn from.  A husband and wife really need to be on the "same page" especially in front of their kids.  Its too easy to just sit back and relax when your spouse asks kindly for you to do something for them.  So easily we fall into wanting to do our own thing and not do something that is asked of us because we just want to relax.  

I love the example this book gave about the husband calling from work asking his wife to please stain the play set in the backyard.  She was laying on the couch relaxing and really wanted to just remain there.  She decided to do it anyways to get it done and out of the way.  Her husband got home and noticed he acknowledged her work.  He knew she was tired and really doesn't like painting but he wanted to have time that weekend to just enjoy themselves and their company that would be over.  The wife noticed she had demonstrated respect for him by doing what he had asked.  She had shown him love in a very tangible way.

I'm supposed to start today on asking my husband for one small thing I can do for him.  I'm also going to need to prayerfully ask God to show me what is keeping me busy legitimately and what HE feels I need to be doing, or not doing for that matter. 

Lord, please show me the opportunity to continually bless my husband in a pleasing way to you, even in a simple way. Help me to be wise in my choice when using "yes" instead of "no" when committing to doing something for someone and seeing if it is what YOU intended me to do.  I always want to say yes when people ask or volunteer where there is a need but I really need to seek you to show me where my calling is.  I feel so lost in this area and I need to seek your guidance.  I want to show my kids how a husband and wife should be communicating and doing things willingly for each other. I want to show them what respect is for my husband so that they will show respect for their future spouse. In Christ's name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment